Following on from my Banshee post I decided I would post another model that I only had to ink for me to be completely satisfied with the end product. That model is a Lizardfolk that I got out of the same set of Rage of Demons boxes that I got the Banshees out of.
How the Lizardfolk model looked out of the box.
Once again the modelling on this particular model is beautiful and precise. This is joined with an excellent paint job; one of the best paint jobs I have seen on these models. The paint is on the correct parts and does not overlap onto sections it should not be, even the printed on face is precise. This figure looks almost exactly like the artwork in both the Monster Manual and Volo’s Guide to Monsters.
The only thing I was unhappy with was the fact that all of those beautiful details were not emphasised by the painting. With that in mind I watered down some paints again!
I mixed a very dark, almost black, shade of green and watered it down into an almost ink-like texture once again. I then carefully painted it only over the green and brown painted parts of the model, making sure that it stuck in all the needed cracks and crevices. Once I had done this I mixed a dark yellow; not too dark, but enough to add some shade to the cream coloured scales that were on the Lizardfolk’s belly and underside. In the same way I then inked the cream scales and left it all to dry.
How the Lizardfolk looked after ‘inking’.
As can be seen the adding of the ultra-thin paint just makes the model ‘pop’; you can even see detail on the shield that I had not even noticed before painting, and the whole model is lifted to a new level.
I will post up some images of more extensive paint-jobs soon.